Sent to you by Miss C. via Google Reader:
[miketysklar] noticed that a local business was having trouble with their sewage lines. People kept flushing tampons down toilets and it ended up clogging the pump. They had already installed a set of lights and horns to go off when it clogged, but they were hoping for SMS capability so they would know wherever they were. The new system piggybacks off the flashing lights by powering an XBee when they are activated. The signal it sends is recieved by another XBee attached to a computer running a python script. The script then sends a SMS via email to the poor fellow who has to fix it.
Related: Wireless Bootloading
Things you can do from here:
when things fall out of the frigo at my house (and the refrigerator, i mean. the freezer is a different story) it falls from the doors; not the shelf.
just because it fits, doesn't mean you have to keep the eggs on the door.
i always wonder why people do it. so dangerous!
why do people refrigerate shoyu?
this is unnecessary frigo space. shoyu at restaurants are not refrigerated. it does not require refrigeration. i don't feel that cold shoyu is any better than warm shoyu. shoyu in packets are not refrigerated. you don't put non dairy creamer packets in the frigo. i do not understand this.
makes me want to stick a roll of b&w ilford in my fed 5b and walk around town...
i miss photography so much.
i miss printing. i miss developing. i miss focusing and metering. i miss talking to people.
i miss holding my camera. i miss the weight of it. i miss the satisfying shutter click.
digital photography has taken all the joy out of my life; it's too easy to take pictures.
too easy to take MINDLESS pictures.
tomorrow, i'm going to dust off my canon. :)
Gallery - Carnivorous robots eager to eat your pests - Image 2 - New Scientist
getting pretty scary out there.
first, robots can steal your face (humanoids and face emulator bots)
then they think people taste like bacon (at a press conference, "somolier" a tasting robot accidentally took a reading of a news reporters' hand and said "PROSCUTTO").
now they can operate by biofuel cells.
Sent to you by Miss C. via Google Reader:
Though still very much in experimental mode, a YouTube developer has built a stereoscopic player—a fancy way of saying you can already view some YouTube videos in 3D. The project is open for testing now.
In the screenshot above you can see what the video looks like when playing in 3D mode. Embedded below is what the source video looks like when taken with a stereoscopic camera.
To enable 3D viewing, use the "yt3d:enable=true" tag on your video. There are currently a total of 10 3D viewing styles to choose from, including "Focus-Thru," Cross-eyed," and "Mirror Split," and they work on various videos containing the right tags, like this one.
Other current tags (all subject to change) include:
yt3d:aspect=3:4 Sets the aspect of the encoded video.
yt3d:swap=true Swaps the left and right sources. You may need to add this to videos when the player with fixed anaglyph modes ships. Apologies for the [inconvenience].
yt3d:left=0_0.1_0.5_0.9 and yt3d:right=0.5_0.1_1_0.9 These tags are very provisional and most useful for fixing up old videos. They set the source area for each eye as pairs of coordinates x1_y1_x2_y2. The scale of these coordinates is 0,0 for the the top left down to 1,1 for the bottom right.
The developer in question, identified as YouTubePete, says that "ideally you shouldn't use left and right," and that for the best quality videos, "make the sources as large as possible within the frame and set yt3d:aspect correctly."
Test out the 3D feature for yourself, and let us know what you think in the comments. And if you find an interesting 3D video, feel free to embed it below for all to see.
Things you can do from here:
if this were a presentation, i'd say do it pecha kucha style as to save time and not be boring, but it's different when you are writing/reading! five minutes of writing/readning per topic is a loooooong time! so. let's just. get to it.
science on hold
ran into mr. t
milk + ice cream - lactase
dw for dl for fac
rave on new
expunge (because i don't care)
i'm totally ok if you don't like me or care about me. this summer is short; i don't waste time on people that don't make me happy anymore. you can talk to me if you change your mind but i see that you are happy and i'm happy too. so i wouldn't want to ruin a good thing if you like it that way. :) you know where to find me.
"ala moana getting draconian on photogs"
pain / alive
something about seeing myself bleed is like a confirmation i'm still alive. or experiencing pain. i don't know. sometimes i want to give myself a black eye just to see if i could make myself do it. and if i could, and it's there it feels like i could do anything. is that strange?
sarah lee ? but it IS a girl.
everything else i listed and didn't cover are gong to be in a second post. for photo purposes.
do you see the "TBA"? just found out recently that it might be in leahi. this does not please me. night time. in a spooky old hospital. it's like setting the scene for a zombie movie.
everytime i go to don qui i find something new and unusual. bet you don't see this in the supermarket everyday.
this makes me happy. i like blue.
just reconnected with an old old friend via facebook. :) we used to have sleepovers and go to the pool and play house and watch movies. i am so happy to hear from her again. this is a picture of us from when we were kiddies.
2. i just deposited my state tax return yesterday.
3. caplox button on my keyboard works but no longer lights up when activated.
4. if you look up directions from hawaii to the mainland or other international locations on google maps, part of the instructions include "kayak across the pacific ocean".
5. my alarm clock this morning was "a decade under the influence" by taking back sunday.
that i got a grant for fall semester!
all thanks to my super awsm boss.
she says i worked hard for it but i really wouldn't be working for our department
if it was any less fantastic.
should cover tissue culture and molec bio plus the books for it
so it's like i'm getting my biotech certification for free.
those are the only two extra classes, all other required classes are already part of the mlt curriculum.
anyway, i'll have to get something for my boss now... something to do with the number 711. :)
"i can't believe you want to get darker, you are so dark already!"
but really, it's not about the tan.
i don't want to be darker- i don't CARE if i get more tanned or less tanned.
i just like how warm the sun is.
LONG LIVE THE VITAMIN D!
http://thelomographer.com/2009/nl_lomo_keychains (click here.... the ad doesn't fit in my blog this time, it's huge!)
i think i just might have to do a lomo order! maybe a i'll bulk buy some film again. finally running out. :)
- Peb1 gene taken out of C. jejuni and put in E. coli. grown up in plasmid called P2x (we think) to get Peb1 Pmal P2x #5
- mini prep done to extract Peb1 Pmal P2x #5, plan was to run it on a gel next to plasmid P2x and C2x to verify however conc was too small to run in a gel.
- PCR done on Peb1 Pmal P2x to get the concentration up. nothing shows up on the gel.
- PCR redone (different recipe) and PCR also done on a different (suspected) Peb1 in a plasmid and also done on a straight culture of E. coli containing the plasmid.
- success! http://twitpic.com/9u76o
- stopped here. maybe next step is to prep for an SDS-PAGE
- did some internet research, maybe someone beat us to it. found an article outlining what we've already done but i don't thin kthey went all the way to make a Peb1 antibody. they do, however, have a patent on the protein or procedure (not sure which) until 2014. found another article that did make an antibody (and IgG!) to Peb1 but i only got that from the abstract. have to read the whole paper to find out exactly what happened. :(
so hopefully the story doesn't end here!
not only are we heading into the hard, long work (prep, PAGE, and then Western Blott) with maybe or maybe not having reagents to even do the work, but also maybe we are doing it for no reason! someone has already done the work and published it! :( we will see, we will see. JohnB comes back next week and i guess we are going to see where we are.
yesterday i went out with layne after work. we went out with some of his friends. went to cpk in pearlridge (i love being a townie. traffic was crazy going there at 4pm!) and then to leeward bowl. :) wii bowling does not improve your irl bowling skills.
- brett is baaaaaaaack! good laughs all day. really helps the work go by faster.
- someone printed out a picture of a licorice with a word bubble saying "hey, everyone! i am here to make you feel sick and hate candy!" and left it by my desk. boooooooo.
- did three demos these past two weeks: inspiration, dreamweaver/html for laulima, and imovie
- we are having a cheese party at work on tuesday. yeah, idk. random.
- passed clin micro! i'm really glad.
- need to catch up on math. :(
that's about it.
Salon workers pursue duo that stole their van - Hawaii News - Starbulletin.com
Shared via AddThis
because i've had my caffeine for the day, this morning!
root beer, mes amis, is like liquorice in a can. :)
i have some photos of my PCR today:
i'd normally just post it in-line but i have some comments that are better viewed together.
there are other sciencey pictures in the same set, too.
From: Lomography <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Subject: Instant Camera Deals
INSTANT TIME MACHINE!
- ► 2017 (34)
- ► 2016 (36)
- ► 2015 (51)
- ► 2014 (65)
- ► 2013 (62)
- ► 2012 (46)
- ► 2011 (71)
- ► 2010 (100)
- OCTOPUS, KEY, RED HOOD
- NO LINES
- Sewer clog alert system
- I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT BUILDING A COMPUTER.
- STILL DYING FOR PHOTOS!
- JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT FOXCONN/iPHONE SUICIDE
- COOKIE BREATH
- Ever seen a 12 pound papaya? Â« Kam Family Blog â...
- FRIGO TALK # 1
- WISH I WAS AT SD COMIC-CON
- I DON'T THINK I COULD EVER GET USED TO QUIET CAMER...
- AT&T HAWAII
- Carnivorous robots eager to eat your pests
- PRETTY IN PINK
- YouTube Experiments with 3D Video Viewing [YouTube...
- THE COMEBACKS
- SUNDAY WITH MY SUGAR MAMA
- deuxième partie
- LET'S TALK ABOUT SPACESHIPS
- ON WARD, HO!
- CUTTING EDGE
- 5 THINGS
- CALENDAR GIRL
- IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TAN
- NEW LOMO KEYCHAINS!
- Salon workers pursue duo that stole their van - Ha...
- Memristor minds: The future of artificial intellig...
- IT'S NOT COFFEE TODAY
- PINK SUNSHINE
- Fwd: Instant Camera Deals
- À LA PISCINE
- TEE HEE
- CAN'T SEE WITH THESE EYES
- TIRED OF BLACK
- STUFFED BITTERMELON
- IGNORING THE SIGNS
- ▼ July 2009 (46)