today dad came home and asked if i ate dinner.
i said yes.
he asked if i ate dessert.
i said no.
he gave me a package of butter mochi.
i asked where he got it.
he replied "becky made it".
"becky?" i repeated.
"yes," he replied. "she came in for lunch today." : )
wow. what are the odds.
i love coincidence.
Once again Leica and Hermès get together. This time they present the M7 Hermès Edition, an aluminum camera wrapped in Hermès leathers. Just amazing!
(Want more? See NOTCOT.org and NOTCOT.com)"
maybe you didn't know, but i am a total tetris freak.
<3 tetris! i might have to make one of these...
Ever play Tetris? Of course you have! Ever play Tetris on Arduino? No way! What's that? It's an open-source electronics prototyping platform which allows you to do basically ANYTHING like... say... make Tetris more like Dance Dance Revolution? Yes!
(Want more? See NOTCOT.org and NOTCOT.com)"
#5299 - My jaw just literally dropped. I will be...: "
My jaw just literally dropped. I will be dreaming of this Alexander McQueen black ornate skull clutch...
(Want more? See NotCouture.com)"
i've been dying to know what song this is, and after doing my homework i've found my answer!
it's written by D. Holmquist and sung by E. Ahnlund specifically for the commercial. i found out from the producer, himself:
mystery solved. :)
looked like it was going to be a huge problem getting the samples to be pure product.
with every increasing pcr (hoping that pcr of a pcr would start to purify it) made more primer dimers.
even getting product on the first try was flaky work.
finally decided to change the protocol.
on saturday, i got fresh buccal samples (me, becky and ing).
then i lyse-and-go the cells open.
then i pcr the samples.
i take the samples and ligate them to a vector (invitrogen ta cloning kit!)
then i take the vector (including the keratin gene insert, now ligated to the plasmid vector) and transform into bacterial competent cells (E. coli... which i also made ahead of time).
i grow them for an hour in luria broth.
then i plate it on tsa with ampicillin and xgal.
this is where i stopped.
the plates are in the 37º incubator.
if the colonies grow, they are amp resistant and have the plasmid in it. (goood!)
if these colonies are white they have the keratin insert in it. (good!)
if the colonies are blue, they do not have the keratin insert in it. (bad!)
if no colonies grow, they might not be ampicillin resistant meaning they don't have the plasmid in it. (bad!)
if it's good news, then i "dirty" pcr it, and miniprep the keratin and take it to sequencing.
if it's bad news, i might give it one more try, depending on what type of bad news it is (lol).
otherwise, back to the drawing board.
- Explain in five sentences why you're using that wallpaper!
- Don't change your wallpaper before doing this! The point is to see what you had on!
This Thanksgiving I'd like to thank my boss, Mary H.
She's been so kind to let me have a flexible schedule around my school hours which has been a huge help! I don't know any other employment that will let me work for three hours, go to class, and then come back to finish working! She lets me take time off when I have exams and even makes sure I'm studying when I should be! Furthermore, she has helped me get a grant to cover a large portion of my school expenses. I feel honored to have a great boss who supports my academic endeavors.
At work, Mary assigns me lots of cool projects. Our department is all about getting people excited about technology, which means I get to learn how to use all kinds of cool software and tech tools. I got to use a digital pen/recorder, a tablet, a tablet pc, mind mapping software, the newest versions of Adobe and Microsoft Office products, a "smart" whiteboard, survey-making programs and work with many faculty and staff on their own projects. I can see how a little idea from one person, my boss, can spark the interest in technology in many faculty who, in turn, will pass on a great learning opportunity to many students.
Mary deserves a Thanksgiving treat from modcloth because she's also a cool geek gal! She is always finding new ways to make technology fun and girly! She's also into crafting and reading and always lends some coolness to me, when i'm lacking. I even have a lot of new geek friends, thanks to her introduction to the local social media network! I attended a Tech Conference and even a Geek Meet where I connected with tons of awesome geeks. I still keep in contact with many of these people and continue to make simillar acquaintances!
As my employment time nears its end (on to a new school adventure in the medical field!) I think the LEAST I could do is give my lovely boss a sincere thank you for everything she's done for me. Thanks for the kindness, concern, encouragement, and coolness. My
if you have someone who you'd like to thank this thanksgiving, write a blog post and enter the ModCloth Thank-a-thon contest!
i can barely remember what went on.
time passing too fast.
i can list some highlights...
but the inbetweens are lost.
if you happen to find them, please return them! they are probably out in the rain getting rusty.
- met the director of clinical labs! (she was so nice! i'm excited for next semester!)
- talked to sheldonT about going to UH Manoa. (i'm going to be in school for
a fewseveral more years...)
- did invitrogen TA cloning on keratin (it's ligating at 15º C as we speak)
- transformed bacteria... i didn't get the lux operon out of vibrio genome to work. i couldn't get the lux operon from the pUWL501 to work either. but some one else in class did so i guess it counts as a group success... the odds are 1 in 500 colonies of bacteria are going to work. so between the five of us, i guess only one or two of us would have had success.
- i threw away my P3 cells. *tear* i've been keeping them alive since august.
- listened to my class mates give case studies on malaria and goiters and D. latum and mononucleosis. they lecture better than the professor.
- got my calendar printed! ahhhh! they came out really nice!
- played left 4 dead
- helped out with some campy research...
- heard my prof bust out of the prep room saying "the turtle fusion went fantastic!!" (of course i also understand what this means but i like to let people wonder... :D )
- went to the dark room
- did not see le boyfriend U___U (but i will see him tomorrow)
- ate dinner with my dad (it's his birthday!)
- found some nice shorts for $19 at macys (finally used up the last of my christmas gift card, lol!)
- watched fight club again. i should just buy this movie already!
- created a tarpipe (and now i'm totally addicted!)
- changed my default browser from safari to opera (also in love with this)
- ate ham yee fried rice! OM NOM NOMMMM...
INSTANT TIME MACHINE!
- ► 2017 (34)
- ► 2016 (36)
- ► 2015 (51)
- ► 2014 (65)
- ► 2013 (62)
- ► 2012 (46)
- ► 2011 (71)
- ► 2010 (100)
- YOU KNOW HOW I DO
- PURPLE SOPRANO
- AXETINGUISHER MONTAGE
- #tweeball 3: return of the ice packs -- SUPA KAWAI...
- Pullip Hello Kitty
- SYMPHONY OF SCIENCE PART 3: OUR PLACE IN THE COSMO...
- CITRATE GIRL
- GREENER WITH THE SCEENERY
- COINCIDENCE AND CHANCE
- STRANGE DREAM
- AHEAD OF THE CURVE
- iWant -- #26318 - Once again Leica and Hermès get ...
- #26334 - Ever play Tetris? Of course you have! Eve...
- OVERNITE RELIGION
- iWant -- Arcade Fire posters
- #5299 - My jaw just literally dropped. I will be....
- JALOU !!!!!!!!!
- ALIVE - P.O.D.
- PAPER FLOAT
- CARPE DIEM
- KERATIN UPDATE
- WIWT -- KCALB
- iWant -- tutu & socks?
- CUTE X BLOODY / CLOUDY X BLUE
- THANKS !
- ALOHA GOOGLE STREETVIEW!!!!
- PROM WITH JESSEEEEEEEEEE!
- iWant -- Emily The Strange Kitty Tote Bag
- @PARKRAT BLOGS MOSTLY ABOUT FOOD
- AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER
- MY DEAREST FRIEND
- WEEZER SNUGGIE
- PSST, CAN I BORROW A PLASMID?
- CALENDAR 2010
- ONE WEEK
- ▼ November 2009 (37)