it's like... THREE MONTHS INTO 2017.
and only now i'm sitting down to write about my favorite music from 2016.
such procrastination! (much wow!)
anyway, i know in my heart what my top tunes of last year were. but we are scientists. we like data to back up hypotheses. so here it is!
i used smart playlists in itunes to build everything up (because i own my music, bitches. support artists and pay up! only a couple of dollars on bandcamp here and there, surely you can afford!) and i took a screen shot of the rules in case you want to check your top songs too.
BEST NEW SONGS OF 2016
- i discovered local band, Earl Grey, at the Motion City Soundtrack concert! they were the opening band and i was so smitten, i immediately went home and bought their entire discography on bandcamp. like, HOLY CRAP HOW ARE THESE GUYS NOT MORE WELL KNOWN THEY SOUND SO GOOOOOOD! i gush about them here if you want some more words and pictures: http://liquoriceblack.blogspot.com/2016/10/slack-line-to-my-heart.html really, if you like Basement you are going to super fall in love with these guys. i keep checking downbeat diner newsletter to see if they will be playing somewhere, i MUST SEE THEM AGAIN! https://earlgreyhi.bandcamp.com
- the SVIIB story is so tragic. i don't know these people personally but i felt really really sad when i heard about benjamin curtis. it just seemed so final. i was bummed when claudia left. but when ben passed away it was absolutely heartbreaking; no hope for a reunion. he's irreplaceable in the band and ally was very publicly devastated. :C fast forward two years and i hear another album is coming... really set my heart ablaze! the songs are so beautiful and has just enough sadness and closure to their story. i've been following this band since their start (sometimes you can find me under the pseudonym POLITE GHOST- that comes from their song "half asleep" on their first album) and this is such a perfect album in their progression and their ending. http://www.sviib.com
- Capsize... i heard this while walking through a store in kahala mall. such an ear worm! i don't know anything else about this band.
- Phantogram. I LOVE PHANTOGRAM. every song on this is gold. recently it's been my workout music... sarah barthel is such a badass, it makes me feel like a badass. more gushing about phantogram: http://liquoriceblack.blogspot.com/2017/03/mouthful-of-diamonds.html
- Balance and Composure- i wrote a whole post about this album here: http://liquoriceblack.blogspot.com/2016/10/let-world-keep-spinning-on-stream.html (see i told you i knew what albums would be my favorites)
- La Dispute: so this song is not new. but the album, Tiny Dots, was a new release of their live acoustic show interspersed with the soundtrack from their documentary of the same name. it's a very mellow album compared to their previous releases. a chill winter with poetry kind of vibe. i got the vinyl version from their subscription club.
Nine might be my favorite LD song and it sounds so beautiful live. it's not on the album, it was an extra download for subcribers and this alone made the subscription worth it (there was also a screen print poster but more on that later) here's the video for the song:
- culture abuse: my favorite album for running around in my one man mosh pit, destroying my house! love the song, chinatown! sounds just like the chinatown around my neck of the woods too. perfect companion to their earlier single (7"), Spray Paint the Dog. https://cultureabuse.bandcamp.com/album/peach
- noticeably missing from this list: MORE TOUCHÉ AMORÉ! i am a huge TA fan
I didn't mean to become a record collector. It just started happening. @ToucheAmore #vinyl pic.twitter.com/Q8LrUbLzp6— Coffee Eyes (@synonyme) March 15, 2017
and Stage Four is REALLY REALLY GOOD. it's just that... i was not in the mood. it is a really gut wrenching, heart breaking album. it's so honest that it hits you where it hurts and after i listened through the whole thing i was in tears and i was not ready to be sad again. so i put off listening to it again until this year. except for "skyscraper". it's a lovely duet with julien baker that makes me smile and think of a starry night. http://epitaph.com/artists/touche-amore/release/stage-four
here's what the playlist looks like by album cover. a nice variety of color. lots of reds.
NEW TO ME IN 2016
a lot of singles from mixed tapes (from record labels) and reclaiming old favorites. i used to torrent music and now that i have a job and am trying to be morally responsible (ha!) i can purchase good quality recordings. i will admit, i listened to some songs for years and did not know they were actually bootleg recordings and the album version sounds different!!!!!! some songs i downloaded back in the days before ipod and the meta data was wrong! in reality they were not even tracks on the album! so embarrassing... some songs were from a few years before but hadn't REALLY listened to them until now (like the TA album i mentioned above). the spread is about two decades! some songs are from the late 90s! and some from just last year.
- i will always be a =weezer= fan. EWBAITE was an album that felt to me like a return to the =W= i knew and loved. i'm aware a white album came out after. i haven't listened to much of it ("thank god for girls" was a turn off for me. i just don't get that song. ) . i also just listened to the single they dropped this week- it's good, but not necessarily the weezer that i want. i'm curious to see what else they have up their sleeve!
- bread. O!A!L! is ally and claudia before sviib. fyi. do you like psychadelic pop? this song is so hypnotic, i just play it on repeat for hours. i have this on vinyl too. but i barely listen all the way through, i only want to hear bread over and over and over...
- i know some people find it hard to listen to The Saddest Landscape because they are not used to the yelling. but the music is so pretty. and when you REALLY see the lyrics you will realize, it is the most romantic music on the planet.
- Rozwell Kid's Weirdo is my new theme song. that is all.
MOST PLAYED SONGS OF 2016
i scrobbled over 2000 different songs last year! in december when i was looking at the data, i saw i had a lot of duplicate scrobbles- the same song twice (or more!) with the same time stamp or with a time stamp one minute later. i manually deleted about 3k individual scrobbles that i assumed were duplicates... and then i realized when i check my data for this year that songs that are on single repeat or in a playlist that is uninterrupted by pauses or reordering, etc. ALL GET THE SAME TIME STAMP. so sometimes when i had ten scrobbles of the same song with the same time stamp i was probably working and was looping the same song ten times in the background and then later it got uploaded to last.fm... they might not have been duplicates at all! i can't be sure and i can't put back scrobbles that i erased so it is what it is.
here is the individual scrobble report from last.fm: https://www.last.fm/user/POLITEGHOST/listening-report/year i out-scrobbled my friends by a long shot! but again, it says i scrobbled one band 300+ times in one day? this doesn't seem right... i am not sure if the numbers are correct, even with my manual deletions.
and here is the first page of the unique song list:
my analysis: even if the count is off, the songs are legit.
i just added Cleopatra to my library and i really latched on to that song so it got the most plays. same for Kangaroo Pocket. the reason why kangaroo pocket didn't show up in my itunes playlist near the top is because i picked up the song from the top shelf record mixed tape. i listened to this song on repeat for about a month and then decided i wanted the whole album. and once i got the album, i removed the single (from the mixtape) from my library for organization purposes (because i am a crazy person) and lost my play count.
on a daily basis, i organize my itunes library by playcount. then i pull a smart playlist (called frequency) of the most listened to songs for my ipod and typically only listen to that on shuffle. the majority of the most played songs in 2016 are songs from that playlist, so no surprises there either.
i guess to round out this post that has gone on too long already is to take a look at physical media. some of the vinyl i added to my collection, off the top of my head:
- Weezer (buddy holly/jamie single)
- The Zombies (b/o)
- The Doors (s/t)
- La Dispute (thirteen flexi, tiny dots)
- Basement (colourmeinkindness)
- Atreyu (b/o)
- Jawbreaker (dear you)
- Jack White (black bat licorice)
- Phantogram (Three)
- Rozwell Kid (Too Shabby)
- School of Seven Bells (Disconnect from Desire, SVIIB)
here is my record collection spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QSyWdlc-Z70pUfJlIqg8ndZPwOWuREMi-wBBoKG3SYM/edit?usp=sharing
what did you love in 2016? what are you looking forward to in 2017?
do we have similar music taste? or are my ear drums whack?
i loooooove long discussions about music so tell me in the comments!